Monday, July 02, 2007

A Million Miles Away

Sunday's message was built around the theme presented in Johnny Cash's video Hurt. What was clear from the video is that Johnny Cash was haunted by bad decisions he had made throughout his life. Even decisions that we think are benign decisions - ones without far-reaching affects - often become malignant decisions - ones that impact our lives and the lives of the people around us. I'm interested to hear response on the message and the power of the metaphor in your lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This message couldn't have come at a better time for me. I made a selfish personal choice that I knew was against God's will and it has created a huge chasm within my circle of friends. But my mistake also helped me see that I was on a crash course towards disaster, and now I am resolved to turn the other direction, toward God. So my question is: Should we regret doing something that ends up saving us from doing something worse? For King David, the line between right and wrong was very clear, but reality doesn't always come in black and white.

Unknown said...

Your question made me surf the laundry list of bad choices I've made as a Christian just to see if I regret having made any of them. I came to the conclusion that they were what they were. Given the same moment with the same circumstances, I'd choose the same thing. My current regret or lack thereof doesn't matter. What I dwell on- what I in fact deeply regret- are the consequences. Your consequence is a huge chasm within your circle of friends. David's was the death of an innocent child and an innocent man.

Perhaps both were selfish choices, but both illustrate God's incredible provision for personal renewal- if we so choose. Big kudos for choosing to make a one eighty! Have you shared your epiphany with your friends?