Sunday, December 02, 2007

Got Repentance?

Today, our SeeWorld series focused on the second chapter of Jonah. A casual reading of the narrative might lead you to the conclusion that Jonah repents while in the belly of the fish. But a careful study of the ten verse prayer reveals 26 references to "I", "me", "my" and "mine" with only two lines failing to have a reference to Jonah himself. Consider taking a few moments to read all four chapters of Jonah. Pay special attention to Jonah's attitude. Do you see the ten verses of chapter two as true and authentic repentance? What do you believe to be evidence of true repentance? Was does authentic prayer mean to you? What was your takeaway from the passage today?

3 comments:

lownote67 said...

I don't see genuine repentance from Jonah as I don't ever see remorse for his attitudes, there is no admission of guilt; just a lot of church speak as it were to get him out of the situation.

I remember my mother telling me as a kid when I was in trouble, "Are you sorry because you admit you were wrong, or are you sorry because you got caught?" In Jonah's case, I think the latter was evident.

Unknown said...

Has anyone else found it difficult to remove references to yourself from prayer? I was most struck by how often Jonah referenced himself in his prayer to God. I have tried since Sunday to remove or minimize the usage of "I", "me", "my, and "mine." It is harder than you might think!

NancyJ said...

So yes, Jonah was running and not really repentant, but my biggest take away is always to turn that around and figure out where I'm doing the same thing. Like in David's worship response questions - what are my "frozen blocks damming up the flow of the river?" And yes...I found some... (wait...does that mean it's all about "me, my, I, mine???)