Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On Liminal Space and Negativity

Crosspointe is in liminal space - a place where boundaries dissolve and we stand on the threshold, getting ourselves ready to move across the limits of what we were into what we are to be. For many of us, liminal space represents a period of ambiguity, of marginal and transitional state. What often accompanies liminal space is anxiety, fear and negative thinking. Negativity is human nature but it limits our ability to move through liminal space.

Here are some thoughts I've either experienced or come across concerning the affects of negativity:

  • Negativity always distorts the truth
  • Negativity always results in sweeping generalities and harsh judgments
  • Negativity always justifies itself
  • Negativity always negates the work of the Holy Spirit in us.


In my view, we must be careful not to discount the role of a Positive Mental Attitude in this move. Harnessing our mental faculties for creating positive environs for ourselves and the people we're called to serve is both a laudable and attainable goal. One could also posit that it is, in fact, is a biblical mandate. The Apostle Paul commends to us the pondering of those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8-9) If these aren't positive in nature then the adjective has no meaning. The challenge is how to think on and dwell upon these positive virtues. Any ideas or thoughts?

4 comments:

NancyJ said...

It's a choice. It never "just happens", it's always an act of my will. No matter how tempting and sometimes gratifying it is to focus on the comfortable negative, I have to make a choice to actively say (sometimes out loud) "I will not think of that any longer. Instead I will think about..." and fill in with a positive thought or picture.

I might have to do that every couple hours...or every couple minutes...or every couple seconds. Sigh.

And a most important part of that is God's role. I don't even recognize I'm being negative without God's help...let alone have the discipline to choose to think a more "lovely or pure" thought!

Daily quiet times, and active choices. That's the only way.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....unsure I like the negative vs. positive framing. (Mostly because it is negative...smile.)

I think the framing looks more like energy and entropy. How can we move into liminal space with energy (opportunity, adventure) and avoid the entropy (apathy, self-focus)?

Because if liminal space is about a threshold, you either jump over or hover and wonder if you should go through.

It would seem that motion is more fun than standing still and wondering about it.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's OK to be just a little sad - as long as it's not really negative. Maybe kind of like a very short period of grieving for the memories and the home that we had. My daily routines often take me by the old space and I've felt a little unexpected sadness each time this week. I think it's OK as long as it's very temporary and accompanied by the hope for better things to come and positive thinking.

Anonymous said...

I've just 'tuned in' here, so not sure I'm on the same page, but if someone suggests something ridiculous, I'm going to respond in a negative way. Of course it's okay to have negative feelings! Jesus had some really negative attitudes when he called Peter 'Satan' and turned over the tables! So I may be off base here-this may not be what you're talking about and I sincerely hope not.
Now, if you're saying that we need to have an overall positive attitude because we rest in the assurance that Christ is in control of our lives as His children, then yes, I agree with you. But if you're getting off into some 'positive thinking karma' stuff, you're way off the mark.
God gave us emotions. So yes, Cathy, CRY! It's really okay!