Sunday, April 11, 2010

Abraham: Treacherous Faith

Genesis 22. My friend and mentor Len Sweet says that speaking about Abraham can be compared to collecting antiques. Some people collect in order to put their prized possessions on display never to be touched. Others collect in order to handle them and put them to use in everyday life. Both people believe they are honoring the antiques. Both consider what the other does as disrespectful.

My aspiration in today's message was to approach this text with respect it deserves yet with an eye toward a deeper understanding of the God who authored the test. I suspect that I left some of you with more questions than answers. That's okay. The God we follow is untamable. His wild ways are often beyond our ability to comprehend. I'd love to see us wrestle with the text some more in this forum.

We also asked for posts on this topic: Have you ever been asked to do something by God that other's thought was crazy? If so, how did you respond and what lessons did you learn?

2 comments:

Cathy Hutchison said...

Of course I can't stand to see a blog without comments. (Smile.)

I think every time that God has asked me to do something 'crazy' it has been personally crazy. Meaning that I'm not sure others would find it that outrageous, but for me, it has always been something that I absolutely would-not-could-not-should-not do on my own. I've forgiven things I didn't think I could ever forgive, befriended people I didn't think I could befriend, given away things I didn't think I could bear to lose, said things I didn't have the courage to say and have gone places to do things that would have been considered "bad" in my religious upbringing. Each time because I believed in my heart of hearts that God asked me to.

And the results of a lifetime of those crazy responses has been extraordinary. Though I NEVER could have predicted that on the front end.

God asking us to do crazy things is innately personal. Not something easily blogged about.

Sheila Joyce said...

I really found this sermon thought provoking and inspirational. The thought of Abraham not necessarily being in 'close' relationship with God never crossed my mind, as well as the fact that he sorta drops off the face of the earth without Isaac after the sacrifice attempt. I don't struggle with my faith very often and the suggestion that I should because then I'm engaging God more is, to say the least, eye-opening. Thank you David for a very controvertial, yet soul opening message.